After enjoying three weeks perched atop the U.S. box office and nearly $500 million in gross revenues ($1.2 billion worldwide), The Avengers fell to second place on Friday to Men in Black 3, Will Smith’s return to the silver screen after a four-year absence.
MIB3 earned an arguably underwhelming $18 million on Friday and is set to do about $75 over the four-day holiday weekend. As previously mentioned, The Avengers fell to second place, earning a solid $9.7 million on Friday, with a projected four-day total of about $48 million.
Courtesy Nikki Finke at Deadline, here’s how things are shaping up for the weekend’s Top 10 films:
1. Men in Black 3 3D (Columbia/Sony) NEW [4,248 Theaters] PG13
Friday $18M, 4-Day Weekend $75M
2. Marvel’s The Avengers 3D (Disney) Week 4 [3,918 Theaters] PG13
Friday $9.7M, 4-Day Weekend $45M, Cume $523.5M
3. Chernobyl Diaries (Alcon/Warner Bros) NEW [2,433
Friday $3.5M, 4-Day Weekend $11.5M
3. Battleship (Universal) Week 2 [3,702 Theaters] PG13
Friday $3.0M (-65%), 4-Day Weekend $13.5M, Cume $43.3M
5. The Dictator (Paramount) Week 2 [3,014 Theaters] R
Friday $2.7M (-51%), 4-Day Weekend $11.5M, Cume $43.3M
6. What To Expect When You’re Expecting (Lionsgate) Week 2 [3,021
Friday $2.2M (-42%), 4-Day Weekend $9.0M, Cume $24.0M
6. Dark Shadows 3D (Warner Bros) Week 3 [3,404 Theaters] PG13
Friday $2.0M, 4-Day Weekend $9.5M, Cume $65.0M
8. Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (Fox Searchlight) Week 4 [1,233
Friday $1.5M, 4-Day Weekend $9.0M, Cume $17.9M
9. The Hunger Games (Lionsgate) Week 10 [1,421 Theaters] PG13
Friday $565K, 4-Day Weekend $2.7M, Cume $395.7M
10. Think Like A Man (Screen Gems/Sony) Week 6 [786 Theaters] PG13
Friday $390K, 4-Day Weekend $2.0M, Cume $88.9M
What are you going to see this weekend?